Here is a list of the words and phrases we covered in this week’s little Jèrriais lesson on BBC Jersey (Monday 2.30pm). We looked at some words and placenames with a w sound (written ou):
- Saint Ouën = Saint Ouen
- Saint Louothains = Saint Lawrence
- La Crouaix d’Bouais = Five Oaks
- Lé Bouôlé = Bouley
- Lé Bel Rouoya = Bel Royal (the royal yard)
- Ouaisné = (probably means a killick, or improvised anchorage)
- ouothelle = ear
- ouadgîn = lorry
- où’est qu’…? = where…?
- où’est qu’est…? = where is…?
- où’est qu’tu d’meuthe? = where do you live?
Click on linked words for a sound clip!